May i travel for vacations to mexico, if I am under a Tn visa, but had already sent an application for a U visa?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

May i travel for vacations to mexico, if I am under a Tn visa, but had already sent an application for a U visa?

I am currently under a TN visa working in grapevine TX , it expires until November 2012, … I had an incident last year so i decided to apply for a U visa. I already sent my I 918 form. So far the USCIS has only sent me a confirmation that they received my documents and a citation to do biaometrics. I had to re schedule the biometric because of the date its exactly the same one when I am flying to Mexico. i want to know if i can fly to M exico on vacations and cme back since I have my TN visa, and if my U visa applucation will be still valid, and wont have any problems to come back.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Immigration Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Traveling while your VISA is pending is a bad idea.  You really need to stay in the country until all of your paperwork is complete.  Sometimes, the USCIS will actually deny your pending VISA if you leave the country while the application is pending. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption