May I sue for auto damages if it’s been almost 3 years ago

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

May I sue for auto damages if it’s been almost 3 years ago

Someone damaged my car insurance would
not cover the cost so he agreed to pay
started paying but since then declined
to continue paying because he claims I
relieved him of that responsibility
we’ve been going. Back forth about it
he keeps changing his mind about
paying now it’s clear he is not gonna
pay. Can I sue him

Asked on May 8, 2019 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue so long as you are still in time to sue--and you appear to be. In your state (NC), you have three years from the time of the accident to sue for damage to your car. If it's been "almost three years," you are still in time--but should file the lawsuit right away, before more time passes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption