What to do if a secondary card holder on a credit card in my name, put $16,000 worth of debt on to the card and has not repaid anything?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a secondary card holder on a credit card in my name, put $16,000 worth of debt on to the card and has not repaid anything?

She has now filed Chapter 7. The credit card has since been cancelled as I didn’t use it anyway. On the statement, all expenses are listed against her name. How can I portect myself against American Express collection activities? Also, idf she flies to Paris for a vacation next week with flights booked/paid for on the credit card, is there anyway to stop her taking that trip?

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact your credit card company as soon as possible and report the matter as a possible credit card fraud by the secondary holder particularly if a large amount was charged on the card and a bankruptcy filing was then filed. There is no way that you can stop the person from taking the trip that you have written about.

I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney with experience in bankruptcy law about filing an adversary complaint against the person who used your credit card for fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption