Married for 27 years does your spouse have to pay alimony

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Married for 27 years does your spouse have to pay alimony

He gets veterans and is receiving back
pay and has retirement account how do I
get him to help me with my bills I have
our daughter who is attending college.
After 27 years of marriage aren’t I
entitled 2 alimony? I also have a signed
and notarized separation agreement. I
need to know what my rights are

Asked on January 21, 2019 under Family Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A spouse may have to pay alimony: it depends (to oversimplify) on the following factors:
1) Who provided more or most of the income during marriage?
2) Who has greater earning potential?
Typically, the higher-earning spouse and/or the one who in fact supported the family during marriage will pay alimony or spousal support to the other spouse. So whether you are entitled to alimony in your case will depend on who earned more, who supported the family more, and who has more earning potential now. 
It is also possible that he would be ordered to help pay for your daughter's college, but that will be based on a case-by-case analysis: can he afford to pay? how much can he afford to pay? what the quality or nature of the relationship between him and his daughter--are they estranged? etc. 
Since so much depends on the specific facts, you are strongly advised to consult with a family law attorney to understand what you may be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption