What will happen if I get married while on a tourist visa?

UPDATED: May 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I get married while on a tourist visa?

I’m on the tourist visa in the US and my boyfriend (a US citizen) proposed to me. If we get married here will I have problems leaving the US and coming back? And if I apply for a green card, can I leave the country?

Asked on May 1, 2012 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are permitted to get married while in the US on a tourist visa.  What you are not permitted to do is to enter the US as a tourist with the intention of immigrating to the US through marriage.  However, if the intent to marry was formed after you entered, you should not have any problems.  You can get married and then file for your adjustment of status on the basis of marriage.  It is best if all that happens at least 90 days after your date of entry.  You do not need to go back to your home country as you can complete the entire process within the US.  In fact, if you do leave , then you would need to wait outside the US for the entire process (9-12 months).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption