What to do if I was present at a house in which the police found drugs and was charged even though they were not mine?

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was present at a house in which the police found drugs and was charged even though they were not mine?

I arrived at a party and shortly after arriving (within 5 minutes) my ride and I decided to leave. My ride was out the door first and was questioned but allowed to leave. Then when I opened the door 3 cops approached me. I was searched and nothing was found. At that point, they entered the house and detained everyone. The owners of the marijuana took responsibility and were arrested on the spot. After being questioned at the police station I was charged with marijuana possession and paraphernalia. Should I contact a good criminal law attorney or use the public defender? I am a college student with no funds. I’m in Pittsburgh, PA.

Asked on November 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested as a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time where controlled substances were found by law enforcement, you should retain a criminal defense attorney about the situation that you are in. If convicted for the offense that you have been charged with, you could be fined and jailed ending up with a permanent criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption