What happens if you are to be deported but your birth country refuses to accept you?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if you are to be deported but your birth country refuses to accept you?

A man who worked for us was brought to US as a child and was legally adopted by US citizens but never got citizenship for himself. He was convicted of a theft (before we knew him), served time and was granted parole. Then it was discovered he was not a citizen, so a detainer was put on him with the threat of deportation. Can he be deported to just any country if his birth country refuses him? He has not been back to his birth country and knows no one there. He was an orphan and he has lived here all his life since being brought here and adopted. He does not believe birth country will take him back. If not, what happens then?

Asked on December 14, 2013 under Immigration Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This doesn't appear to a huge hurdle.  First off, the birth country won't refuse him.  Second, it may simply be a matter of hiring an immigration attorney and filing necessary motions to a) apply for citizenship through this adoption while was a minor or as an adult having a green card and b) to file a motion to delay or cancel any deportation hearings. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption