Maintenance of a jointly owned home

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Maintenance of a jointly owned home

Who is responsible for any costs incurred fir
maintenance of a house mother and 3 children
live in once the father/ husband leaves No
mediation yet and the house is in both of their

Asked on July 19, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The mother and father are responsible legally for any loans, costs, accounts, etc. in their names. So if they are both on the house, they'd both be liable for the taxes; whomever is on the mortgage or HELOC (if there are any) has to pay that; anyone on the utility, phone, internet, etc. accounts is liable for those; anyone who signed the homeowner's insurance has to pay that; whomever calls in and hires a plumber or electrician to do work must pay that serviceperson; etc. If two people are both liable for something, the other side (e.g. the bank) can go after either or both of them, at its option, for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption