What to do if we can’t sleep due to a loud water heater and management hasn’t fixed it?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we can’t sleep due to a loud water heater and management hasn’t fixed it?

We recently moved to an apartment that has this loud whistling sound coming out of the water heater. The water heater is on the opposite side of our kitchen and is causing us to lose sleep at night. The management said they would fix the issue but it hasn’t been resolved as of yet. It has been 2 weeks and we are just tired. We are on a 1 year lease and want to know what our options are since it looks like they won’t be fixing the problem anytime soon and we can’t get any rest. We can’t even enjoy watching a movie because that sound just annoys us.

Asked on November 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord after two (2) weeks has yet to fix the issue with the water heater after being given notice of the problem, I would call the landlord about the need to fix the problem and follow up with a written letter or e mail memorializing the conversation requesting a fix by a certain date.

If the landlord does not fix the water heater by the requested date, I would call your local health and safety department to request an inspection of the water heater to make sure it is safe. If it is not, the landlord will receive a citation forcing him or her to get the item repaired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption