Loss Wages

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Loss Wages

My son was employed by Pet Smart as a part time early morning stocker, he worked for a period of 3 weeks since he came home for the summer but never got paid. I had asked him if he had done any new hire paperwork but none was ever given to me he was told he had not worked enough days to fill one out. I had my son also call the corporate office and ask about his checks but he was told that they had no record of him being employed with Pet Smart and since no hire paperwork was done on him there is no way that he would be able to get paid. Now my question is first of all is this even legal- I know that the owed wages is minimal and makes me wonder how many more kids have they done this to?

Asked on May 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it's not legal: if he worked, he must be paid. Probably the most straightforward and economical way for hm to get his wages would be for him (or for you, as his parent/legal guardian, if he is minor) to file a small claims lawsuit against the store, seeking his unpaid wages. Small claims cases are inexpensive to file, so long as you don't use an attorney, and move quickly. You could also contact the state department of labor: they help with many wage claims, but this might not be one that will help with--still, nothing lost by a phone call.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption