Loss of Ability to Drive from Residence / Loss of Time

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Loss of Ability to Drive from Residence / Loss of Time

DUI driver knocked over street light pole. DUI driver continued to hit objects in my yard and 3 other yards. My driveway was physically entirely blocked by broken off street light pole. In addition the police detained me for obtaining report as I witnessed the entire ordeal. The police also blocked off our street due to the downed street light pole and debris on the road. As I had plans for the evening and was unable to drive from my residence nor sleep the entire night, would I be available to file a claim with DUI driver’s automobile insurance company for my loss? If you say compensation could not be claimed through automobile insurance company, could I take the driver to small claims court or other?

Asked on March 5, 2017 under Accident Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no compensation for "loss of time" or "loss of ability to drive"--the law simply does not provide compensation for these things. Inconvenience, disruption to your life, lack of sleep etc. are not things that you get money for. Unless you can show an actual concrete economic or monetary loss (such as lost wages from not being able to get to work), you will not be able to successfully pursue a claim (e.g. sue) for this. The property damage which you have evidently already been paid for is the only thing you can get compensation for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption