Locking me out of rented residence

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Locking me out of rented residence

Can my spouse, in Texas, have the apartments we
live in change the locks without my knowledge in
order to keep me out of the residence? Only her
name is on the lease but I pay bills and rent there
and have resided there since day one. We also have
4 children that live there. The apartment is telling me
that since my name isn’t on the lease I have no right
to be there.

Asked on April 24, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have been paying the rent and get your mail at that address, etc., then you may have legally attained the status of "tenant" even if your name is not on the lease. This means that you can only be evicted if your landlord has sufficient grounds (i.e. non- payment of rent, your causing damage to the property, or breaching any other term of the lease). The fact that there is a marital dispute beteween you and your wife is not such a ground. Additionally, if in fact it is established that you are a legal tenant, then your wife has no legal right to lock you out. That is so long as there is no final decree of divorce or formal separation agreement in effect that stipulates who get occupancy of the rental premises. This means that until such time, the apartment remains the "joint marital residence". Accordingly you both have equal rights to live there, no matter whose name is on the lease. Further, if your wife attempts to change the locks then she is acting illegally. At this point, you should consult directly with a local lawyer who can best advise you after going over all of the details of your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption