Whatto do if my stepdaughter used my policy instead of hers regarding a car accident that she had?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatto do if my stepdaughter used my policy instead of hers regarding a car accident that she had?

I gave my car to my stepdaughter and she hit a parked car. She has her own insurance but uses my insurance instead of hers. Can I do anything about? Is that going to raise my insurance cost?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your stepdaughter was in a car accident and information as to the insurance applicable to the car was listed as your policy instead of hers, you need to immediately contact your insurance representative about the situation and advise him or her that your stepdaughter caused the accident and give him or her the stepdaughter's insurance information regarding the claim.

If the claim is being assessed to your policy, your premiums will increase.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption