Living will updating

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Living will updating

My Dad has a will
field in Boerne, TX.
He lives in Biloxi,
Ms. He has a paper
copy that he has been
updating in Biloxi
and installing each
change. Are these
changes legal or
should he get a

Asked on January 17, 2019 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

For a living will or advance health care directive (as it is more formally known) to be valid in MS, your father's signing of it must either be witnesssed by two witnesses, who then each sign in each other's presence; or it must be notarized. Failing to have it witnessed or notarized makes it ineffective. The best way to make sure it will be given effect is to draft up a clean copy, incorporating the changes, then have it witnessed or notarized as your father signs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption