Live in TN and offered a job but have misdemeanor

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Live in TN and offered a job but have misdemeanor

I informed my recruiter prior to sending me a written job offer that I have a misdemeanor that is nearly 5 years old. The misdemeanor appeared on my background check. I was told by the recruiter that I would probably just have to put something in writing to their legal team, which of course I was asked to do today. They said to keep it brief and tell them what happened and where I am today. Can they withdraw the offer?

Asked on December 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had an actual written employment contract for a definite period of time (e.g. a one-year contract) guarantying you the job, they could withdraw it. Without a written contract, you are an employee at will; an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason--including before a job even starts and for a misdemeanor. Employees at will have no rights to a job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption