Live in fianc

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Live in fianc

I’m trying to file an adjustment on alimony and child
support. I’d like to do it my self, just need to know
how to get started. I’ve done a lot of research, and
just need to know how to get the ball rolling.

Asked on May 15, 2017 under Family Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file an Order to Show Cause, in order to request a hearing on the modification of alimony and child support.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing.  When you file the Order to Show Cause, also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your modification of alimony and child support.  If there are any other documents you can provide as supporting evidence, attach those as well.  Attach a proof of service to the documents you are filing with the court and mail a copy of your documents with a proof of service to your ex so that your ex will have notice of the hearing and your documents.  The proof of service (court form) verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption