life time rights

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

life time rights

mother sold her home and land to her daughterthe deed states the mother has life time rightsbut is now permanetly in a nursing home.Canthis property be sold or must the propertybe left until her death

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The property can be sold subject to her Lifetime Estate rights.  This could have been done for many reasons but maybe for Estate Tax planning?  However, if your Mother agrees, see a Real Estate attorney about her relinquishing her Lifetime Estate now that she is in a Nursing Home.  Is your Mother competent to make decisions?  A buyer may see this all as a hassle so you may want to check out what is required and the tax ramifications before you put it on the market.  You can look here at to start.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption