What to do if a life insurance proceeds were paid out in the wrong amounts to the beneficiaries?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a life insurance proceeds were paid out in the wrong amounts to the beneficiaries?

My brother and I were named as beneficiaries of my godfather’s life insurance policy. We received 50% each but we were supposed to receive 10% each. Supposedly it was the insurance company’s error. What is the best course of action?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your brother erroneously received more of the insurance proceeds than what the policy stated (50% versus 10%), then you need to immediately call and write the insurance carrier about the error that you discovered asking for written instructions as how to proceed.

Keep a copy of the letter sent for future need and reference. Honesty with the insurance carrier is the best course of action for you and your brother. Most likely you each will be required to return the extra 40% received.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption