If I just filed for bankruptcy, what happens to life insurance proceeds that are payable to me?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just filed for bankruptcy, what happens to life insurance proceeds that are payable to me?

My mom died 3 months ago. I am the beneficiary in her life insurance and need to share this little money ($5000) with my siblings (7 of us). I filed for bankruptcy and was approved last month. Do I need to report this to my trustee? Will the creditors take this money from me?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The general rule as to inheritance and bankruptcy is that any inheritance that is received with in 180 days of filing for bankruptcy is party of the bankrupt estate.  You must them report it to the trustee. Here is the law:

“Any interest in property that would have been property of the estate if such interest had been an interest of the debtor on the date of the filing of the petition, and that the debtor acquires or becomes entitled to acquire within 180 days after such date .....  a bequest, devise or inheritance..." 

I think that you may be stuck here.  I would consult with an attorney on the matter.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption