Life insurance for ex-spouse.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Life insurance for ex-spouse.

I am divorced and have two minor children wilth my ex-spouse . Can I purchase a life insurance policy for my ex-spouse without his knowledge.

Asked on May 12, 2009 under Insurance Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am not a California lawyer.  You can look for one at our website,

Still, I would be extremely surprised if you could do this.  In fact, since you are no longer married, I really doubt that you could get life insurance on your ex-husband even if he knew and did not object, because you do not have what the law calls an insurable interest.

I cannot imagine that you could purchase life insurance on a person without his knowledge, since insurance companies routinely require at least some personal information, if not a medical examination, from the person to be insured.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption