What is my recourse regarding a life insurance beneficiary?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse regarding a life insurance beneficiary?

My mother was a major stroke patient. She had me apointed as power of attorney in all her affairs. I’m her only child and she never remarried. She has recently passed away. She was able to only tell me about a recent policy that needed to be changed but couldn’t remember the other life insurance policy. Some how her ex-boyfriend was named as beneficiary on a policy that was meant to go to me. He sat and let my mom have 3 strokes in 1 day before he finally got her some help. What can I do about getting back what was truly meant to go to me?

Asked on December 13, 2017 under Insurance Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you really have no recourse here, unless you can prove that your mother's boyfriend used undue influence of some sort or in some other way coherced or ticked her into naming him as the beneficiary of the policy. Absent that, a child has no automatic right to be listed as the beneficiary of a parent's life insuance policy. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption