If we cash a check for a car accident settlement check, does that negate further lawsuits for payments?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we cash a check for a car accident settlement check, does that negate further lawsuits for payments?

We were in a car accident. The other party’s insurance company found us 70% liable. They gave us a check for the 30% they claim they were liable for. We appealed, as we thought we could prove the other party was 100% at fault. They denied that. We are now going to take the other party to small claims court. If we cash that check from the insurance company, does doing that make any further appeals/lawsuits null and void? Or, can we cash the check and still go on to try to get the remainder from the other party?

Asked on April 30, 2012 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You most likely cannot sue the other party. Typically, when a driver's insurance company offers you payment, that payment is in settlement of the claim; having accepted the payment, you accept it as payment in full of the claim.

There are exceptions:

1) If the payment is specifically for damage to your car but not for personal injury, you may still be able to sue for personal injury, or vice versa--in other word, the check will settle those types of claims for which it is for, but will not necessarily settle different claims.

2) If the coverage was maxed out--i.e. you are paid the highest amount (the policy limits) which you could be paid under the policy, you could sue for amounts in excess of that, if you can prove greater damages.

3) If you are paid by the insurer for party A, you could still sue other party B.

Before deciding what to do, review any agreements, the correspondence with the insurer, etc.--what exactly are they paying you for, and what is that payment in settlement of?  That is the first step in determining whether you may be able to seek additional compensation. If uncertain, bring the check and all documentation to an attorney to review with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption