Liability on a borrowed car that was never returned

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Liability on a borrowed car that was never returned

I had a sub-contractor borrow a work van that he was trying to purchase thru trade in labor. With permission he took the van out of state to visit his daughter saying he would return in a week. On his way home, he called and said the van broke down and would be another week while it was being repaired. Have not heard from him since. Now after 3 months of no word I want to cancel the insurance. The van is only worth $1500 I don’t care about that but I dont want to be held liable if he gets in an accident or even any parking tickets. Police wont report as stolen since I allowed him to drive. I have cancelled the registration but DMV says it is technically mine until it is reregistered. No idea where the van is no idea where the employee is. What do I do?

Asked on January 9, 2017 under Accident Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Contact the police again and explain very clearly taht he was supposed to return it 3 months ago and has not, so he has stolen it. If necessary, go over the head of the officer you spoke to and speak to a sergent, leutenant, or captain. Try another police too--if local police won't help, try state police. You need to get this reported as stolen to remove yourself from liability for what happens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption