Legally what can we do if a dealership reneged on a promise to pay for a repair?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Legally what can we do if a dealership reneged on a promise to pay for a repair?

My husband and I purchased a vehicle from an out of state dealership because my husband is in the navy. We bought the vehicle the end of last month but didn’t take delivery of the car until the 7th of this month because of a necessary repair. When the car was delivered the check engine light was on and the dealership said if we took it in they would pay for the repair. The car has been in the shop for a week now awaiting payment so the repair can be done. The dealership has lied to us and ran us around in circles. What can be done legally?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get the car back and to try and get the costs of reimbursement for the repair is to do as follows:

1. pay for the costs of the car's repair;

2. bring a legal action against the out of state dealership in the county and state where you live in, possibly in small claims court for the costs of the repairs;

3. make a complaint against the dealership that sold you the car and made the representations concerning repairs with the department of motor vehicles in the state where the dealership is located. This entity in many states oversees the regulation of car dealerships and responds to consumer complaints.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption