What to doabout non-payment by a client?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to doabout non-payment by a client?

I’m a graphic designer and recently made some designs for a client. I have delivered a few arts, and all was fine, but the payment time was always a problem. I have delivered another set of arts and the company has avoided my payment for about 4 months. Now they tell me the are not going to pay. I did all they want. I have email evidence (tons of it) with all the communications following their direction and line of action, even congrats from the client for the work was done.

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for the money they owe you. If there was an agreement between you and your client that you would do certain work and they would pay a certain amount by a certain time, that agreement is enforceable. If you upheld your obligations under the contract, then the other party must uphold their obligations and pay you. They may *not* simply decide to not pay. If they don't pay you voluntarily, you can sue them to force them to pay and let the courts enforce the terms of the agreement. Depending on the amount at stake, it may make more sense to sue them in small claims court, representing yourself, rather than hiring an attorney--an attorney would cost several hundred or a few thousand dollars, which would eat (and possibly cancel out) a smaller recovery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption