Leaving the country while EAD still pending

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Leaving the country while EAD still pending


I applied for EAD in January and I recently ask to expedite the case since I just
got a job offer, but nowI have to leave the country due to a mortality in my
Will that affect the process time for the EAD and Am I allowed to leave the


Asked on April 9, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

EAD is not affected by you leaving the country; the AP is.  It really depends on what your immigration status was at the time you applied for this, in terms of whether or not it is safe and advisable for you to leave the country.  i strongly suggest you discuss this with an immigration attorney before doing anything as if you leave when you are not supposed to, you may have serious issues in being able to return to the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption