How to get out of a commercial lease due to repeated loss of power?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get out of a commercial lease due to repeated loss of power?

My company is currently in a big office building. The building is very old and often loses power to our office during peak business hours considerably diminishing productivity. Is there any way we can get out of our lease based on this?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is something called the "implied warranty of habitability," which provides that a rental premises must be fit for its intended purpose. Conditions which render it unfit can provide a basis for the tenant to get compensation (basically, a rent abatement or rebate which reflects the difference between what the tenant is paying and what the tenant should reasonably pay for the impaired premises). It can also provide a basis for terminating a lease, but only if the condition is so severe as to not merely impair the leasehold, but it truly render it almost entirely unfit for its purpose. (The landlord must also have been given proper written notice of the condition and a chance to fix it first.)

The question is therefore very fact specific--losing power for 2 - 4 hours out of an average 40 hour workweek would almost certainly not justify termination, though it would likely support compensation; losing power for a day at a time regularly might allow termination. In between those extremes, there is some level that would, depending on the facts, support terminating the lease.

You should consult with an employment law attorney and discuss the matter in depth with him or her. Probably, the best route to take is to simultaneously seek monetary compensation and a declaration from the court that the lease and implied warranty of habitability were materially breached, allowing you to terminate the lease (and, in the alternative, if that  is not granted, seeking a court order requiring the electrical system to be repaired). That way, even if the court concludes it's not bad enough to terminate the lease, you have a good chance of getting money and getting the problem fixed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption