What is a roommate’s responsibility regarding rent if they moved out?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a roommate’s responsibility regarding rent if they moved out?

My boyfriend and I rented a home a little over a month ago and signed a 1 year lease in both of our names He left. What legal options do I have? I can’t afford to move now because all my money went for deposits on this house.

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your boyfriend both signed a written a lease for the rental with a landlord for a one year period and he left the premises leaving you to foot the entire amount for the unit, you will be directly responsible for the amount of the monthly rent to the landlord. It is best that you immediately try and obtain a roommmate to assist you with the unit's cost.

However, your boyfriend since he signed the lease with you is responsible to you to reimburse you the amount that you pay the landlord which is his share of the rental under the implied agreement that you each had with each other to share the costs of the rental.

I recommend that you have a talk with him about reimbursing you what you will be expending, If he refuses, small claims court is your option.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption