If the amount of space that I actually have differs from what my lease states, can I ask my landlord to adjust this?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the amount of space that I actually have differs from what my lease states, can I ask my landlord to adjust this?

Last year I signed a contract for my gym. My lease states rent is based on approximately 3000 sq ft. An architectural firm just confirmed my actual square footage is 2800 sq ft. This means I pay over $3000 a year for space I don’t have the opportunity to make money in.

Asked on June 26, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that you can get this adjustment if you (or an employee or agent of yours) viewed the space prior to leasing it: in that event, a court would likely conclude that having seen the space and then leased it, you leased it based on the space as it actually was and was actually inspected by you--and not based on the square foot measurements. When you actually see what you lease before entering into the lease, courts are very reluctant to modify, change, or overturn the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption