What to do if last winter a water pipe broke and flooded my home beyond repair?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if last winter a water pipe broke and flooded my home beyond repair?

My mother called the electric company and said we needed services shut off immediately because we had water in the main breaker. When the tech showed up at my house he asked if I was sure I wanted the services stopped. I told him my home was damaged beyond repair and I no longer needed services. A few months later another tech called and asked if I wanted another meter installed. I explained to him then that I lost the home to back taxes and that I no longer owned the home. I no longer needed service. Last month I received another bill. I called the company and they said I never canceled services to I have to pay through now. Did the two guys I spoke to not count?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about unless you have a written cancellation of service confirmation as per custom and practice in the industry where utility services are provided you unfortunately seem to be obligated to pay the bill despite the apparent error on the representative's fault in not doing the cancellation timely.

In the future you need to do a letter or e mail confirming the cancellation of the services to avoid the problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption