What can be done if my landlord’s insurance policy only allows 1 lease but my friends and I want separate leases?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my landlord’s insurance policy only allows 1 lease but my friends and I want separate leases?

My 4 friends and I are looking at a house we really like and want to rent for while we are in school. It’s really affordable and spacious, however my

the landlord’s insurance policy only allows her to have 1 lease but we want separate. How can we get separate leases somehow by using subtenants or getting her to change her policy?

Asked on April 3, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There really isn't anything that you can do. If having only 1 lease is an insurance company requirement you cannot expect the landlord to jepordize their coverage. In fact, insurance requirements aside, a landlord need only give 1 lease if they so choose; there is no law mandating otherwise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption