landlord will not resolve roach problem after 2 months should I continue to pay rent?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

landlord will not resolve roach problem after 2 months should I continue to pay rent?

should I continue to pay rent if the landlord does not resolve this roach problem I have seen the climb in my t.v. and computer washing machine abd dryer I have small children I have sprayed myself and applied boric acid in areas my kids cant get into the powder should I take legal action if my belongings are infested as well?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You certainly did not contract to have roaches.  If you have placed your landlord on notice (in writing) of the problem and he has yet to remediate the roach problem then i suggest writing him a letter indicating that you will either leave the apartment and no longer pay for the balance of the rental term under what is called a "contructive eviction" or stop paying rent until the problem is solved.  i suggest moving it is it possible as the landlord does not seem to be taking his contractual obligations seriously and this is not a headache you need to have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption