Landlord tenant law and grievances. Is it possible to go further than filing a grievance when the landlord is at fault for causing damages?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Landlord tenant law and grievances. Is it possible to go further than filing a grievance when the landlord is at fault for causing damages?

I am disputing that I left water on in my apartment while I went to work. The landlord said that the tub overflowed and that I left the water on this is not true because I was at work all day and nobody was home to use the water, my ex-husband can be a witness to this. They admitted to working on water pressure and boot marks were left in my tub. I had made numerous service requests about the plumbing in the bathroom, and that it had been an ongoing problem and these problems led up to the fact that even though I turned faucets off the washer was loose and water still flowed full blast.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This sounds like it wasn't the least bit your fault, although I don't have all of the facts.  And if it isn't your fault, you shouldn't have to pay for it. I'm not an Ohio lawyer, but while there are variations in the law from one state to another, this is fairly basic.

The procedure for what to do next does differ from one state to another, and the fact that you mention a "grievance" suggests that there may be a grievance procedure in your lease.

So, for reliable advice, about what to do next, you should talk to an attorney, have her or him review the lease and all of the facts.  One place to find a lawyer in your area is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption