What to do if my landlord will not installing cable?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord will not installing cable?

I just moved into an apartment and realized there is no cable connection in the apartment. All the other apartments in the building are set except mine. I have contacted my landlord and he’s brushing it off and just giving me excuses. How can I get him to set up my cable in a speedy manner. Can I withhold rent?

Asked on November 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your apartment is the only one in the complex without cable, you need to carefully read your lease to see if the document mentions anything about getting cable. If it does, the landlord is obligated to provide you with cable at his expense. If not, the landlord is not obligated to provide cable.

If the lease does not state that you get cable, I would sit down with the landlord and ask why the other rentals that he has have cable and you do not. Unfortunately, you cannot legally withhold rent for not having cable from the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption