Is a landlord responsibile if they neglected to inform renters of a car sticker requirement, which resulted in theirvehiclesbeing towed?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a landlord responsibile if they neglected to inform renters of a car sticker requirement, which resulted in theirvehiclesbeing towed?

The owner who rents to use communicates with us through a property management agency. The owner also belongs to an HOA. Anyway, one day, both my and my wife’s cars were towed from our lot because we did not have a proper sticker in the window of our cars. However, we never knew about the sticker requirement. It was not in our lease, and we never signed any documents acknowledging that rule. In fact, that rule belongs only to the HOA which our property falls under. We never received any HOA rules or documents from our owner. All the property $600 from our next rent check?

Asked on July 27, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a written lease with your landlord for property subject to the association's requirements, you knew such as well as the landlord, and the landlord failed to tell you of the need for proper stickers on your vehicles resulting in the cars being towed, the landlord whould reimburse you for the towing and storage charges.

You are renting the property. It is the landlord's or the property management's obligation to inform you of house rules. They failed to do so. I would write the landlord and property management company about what happened, sending a copy of the cost, canceled check and ask for reimbursement and hope they do the right thing.

If not, your recourse is small claims court.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption