What are a tenant’s rights if they are harassed by their landlord to move out early?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rights if they are harassed by their landlord to move out early?

My landlord has brought 6 family members and moved into my house for 2 weeks. This is not in my lease agreement. They have taken over the entire house, and harass me constantly. I have 2.5 months to go on my lease, and they want me to move out sooner. They want to rent to an Hispanic family. They have locked 2 of the rooms of the house and said I am not allowed to use them. I am stuck in my bedroom.

Asked on July 21, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you are renting the entire house from your landlord, then he has no right to move in his family to the place you are occupying. Read your lease carefully to make sure you are not renting a "room only" in the house as opposed to the entire house.

If you rented the entire house, locking two of the rooms from your access is not proper.

If you have a landlord/tenant grievance board in the county/city where you live, you need to meet with someone there to make a formal complaint against your landlord.

Document in a letter to the landlord the breaches of the lease by him, keeping a copy of the dated and signed letter for future use. It sounds that the landlord's conduct has undermined your lease with him where you are paying too much monthly for what you are getting in return.

You also might consider meeting with a landlord-tenant attorney. Your rights are to give the landlord a chance to remedy the situation. if not, move out and if your rent is higher for the amount remaining, ask him/her to pay you the difference. Another option is to hire a lawyer ans sue the landlord for damages and an injunction for trying to constructively evict you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption