What to do if my landlord gave my security deposit refund to my roommate?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord gave my security deposit refund to my roommate?

I submitted a personal check to my landlord covering the cost of a security deposit. The check had only my name on it. Both my name and my roommates name was on the lease. When we both moved out they gave my roommate the refund of the security deposit instead of me. Neither party informed me until I had reached out and spoke with my former landlord about it (it has been 2 months since I moved out). Am I entitled the security deposit, and if so, who owes me the money?

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were the one who paid the security deposit for the rental that you were sharing with your former roommate and the landlord gave your security deposit to your roommate and not you, the landlord is responsible for returning the amount of the check to you as well as your former roommate.

Meaning, both of them are responsible for the amount of the check owed you. I would write both of them a letter asking for the amount of the check within a certain period of time. If not provided, then your option is small claims court. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption