Is it leagal if my landlady blocked access to the back of my apartment?

UPDATED: May 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it leagal if my landlady blocked access to the back of my apartment?

My landlady recently blocked access to the back of my apartment (which includes windows to my bedrooms), with a locked gate. She refuses to let me have a key. is this legal? I’m worried about an emergency situation where I need to access my windows from the outside.

Asked on May 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It sounds as if she may have caused an un safe situation and violated zoning laws as well.  Generally tenants must have two means of egress from their appartment and you can not take away something you gave them to begin with.  So I would send her a letter advising that you would like her to rectify the situation and return the premises to its original condition or to give you acess via a key.  If she does not then you can bring a proceeding in to court that she has breached the lease decide if you want to ask to get out of the lease or to have the place put back.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption