Keeping the house in a separation

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Keeping the house in a separation

Hello. I am a wife and the sole bill payer in the
household. I have a husband who has become
increasingly verbally/emotionally abusive and has
began making death threats. He works part-time but
still has not helped with the bills, and just uses the
money he makes on alcohol. I want to know how I
would go about a separation where I can keep the

Asked on March 20, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please go and discuss the particulars with an attorney in your area.  Illinois allows for pendete lite relief - relief given during the lendency of the action like exclusive use and occupancy of the marital home, alimony/spousal maintenance.  But beware: the "monied" spouse is YOU, not your spouse. And that could work against you.   If you and your spouse agree to the terms you wish that is fine.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption