Can I get my job back if I had a juvenile record?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my job back if I had a juvenile record?

I have a juvenile record but I turn 19 in December. I was let go today after 3 days of work because I did not disclose my record. My job is working at an after school program for the school district. I was let go because I didn’t admit that I’ve been arrested or been convicted for a felony but when I asked my case manager if i have to disclose my juvenile record he told me you have never been arrested technically because a juvenile gets apprehended not arrested and also told me I’ve never been convicted for a felony, I’ve been withheld adjudication. I was told I lost my job for saying I’ve never been arrested not because of my charges, however technically I’ve never been arrested I’ve been apprehended. Is it true what my case manager said about my juvenile record and is there something that I can do to get my job back?

Asked on September 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a written employment contract, including a union or collective bargaining agreement covering your job, which was violated by this, which agreement was violated by the termination, you cannot get your job back. In the absence of a written contract, you are an employee at will; an employee at will may--as the term itself implies--be terminated at the will of the employer, or whenever they want, for any reason, including that they disapprove of your failure to disclose your record. An employee at will has no right to or guaranty of a job.
If you had a written agreement which has been violated, you could sue the employer for "breach of contract" to enforce your rights under it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption