What to do if I just got a DUI and it’s my first offense?

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just got a DUI and it’s my first offense?

If anyone can help me out with a few questions I have I’d really appreciate it. The story is that my myself my girlfriend and a few of her friends were drinking and the DD got wasted. Me, having 5 drinks between 10pm and 2am (I’m 6’5 and 215), thought I was still fine to drive. I was driving fine until the car stalled out in the middle of an intersection and that’s when the police officer did the field sobriety tests and breathayzer and blew .09. Can the breathalyzer give a false reading within 15 minutes of finishing a drink from residual alcohol particles in my mouth?Can the blood that was drawn get the case thrown out if under a certain number?

Asked on October 3, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that this is a criminal offense, accordingly you should consult directly with an attroney as to this matter; a DUI conviction can carry life-long consequences. Pick a lawyer who practices in the area in which the offense occurred. They can use their local contacts within the court system to your best advantage. Experienced legal counsel can possibly get the charge dismissed on a technicality or at least get it reduced. If it comes down to it, they could win an acquittal at trial.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You need an attorney licensed in your state to assist you and to analyze the facts of your case in light of law. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Minnesota Law Firm


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption