Can I sue ex-husband for an auto loan that I co-signed for andthat he defaulted on?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue ex-husband for an auto loan that I co-signed for andthat he defaulted on?

I co-signed an auto loan for him under the assumption it would be paid. I left him due to abuse 3 months after I co-signed. This is on now my credit. I want to know if I can sue him and put a lien on his drivers license so he will pay it? He also accumulated $2070 worth of tickets on this and another vehicle I bought under my name. I know I was very naive and careless. I just hope that I can sue him to make him take responsibility? He also said he filed bankruptcy and feels he does not owe anything.

Asked on June 11, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation - all of it - but there are more details of the divorce that need to be clarified here.  When you divorced was there any agreement signed as to the car and the distribution of the debt with regards to it?  Did he acknowledge it?  That is the first step to suing him based upon the agreement.  Although the car lender is not bound by it your ex husband is and you can sue based upon a breach there.  As for the bankruptcy, if the car and the loan were not in his name then he could not have discharged that debt.  The ticket issue is tied to the agreement issue.  Get some legal help in your area.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption