What to do if judgements of former owner are on our home but we didn’t know about when we closed?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if judgements of former owner are on our home but we didn’t know about when we closed?

Now we are trying to sell, so how do we get the judgements off?

Asked on June 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hopefully when you purchased the property you had a preliminary report ordered and obtained title insurance. If you did, then you need to make a claim to your title insurance carrier with respect to the judgment that was recorded on your property as to the prior owner.

If you did not obtain title insurance for your property, you will need to satisfy the judgment and bring a legal action against the prior owner for the cost of such. I suggest that you consult further with a real estate attorney about your situation and the judgment against the prior owner you just discovered recorded on your home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption