joint ownership

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

joint ownership

A friend bought a pull end trailer and said I could stay in it. No strings. He put my name and his on the title. Please note that he did this. Now because I won’t sleep with him he wants me to move out. I’m from Oregon and I currently have 3 jobs. I told him that I was moving here to get on my feet and adventually get my own place. I’m doing what I said I was going to do. With my name on the title can he make me move out and become homeless and loose my jobs?

Asked on November 9, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, he cannot force you out: if your name is on the title, you are an owner of the trailer, same as he, and have the same rights to use and possession of the trailer as he does. The most he can do is bring a type of legal action to get a court order requiring that the trailer be sold because the owners cannot agree as to what to do with it and the proceeds of the sale split among the owners--if he tries to that, it will typically take weeks or months to do, and you as wonwer, will get a share of the sale price.
If he does thow you out (e.g. change locks on you; puts your belongins on the curb; etc.) go to court, explain to the clerk what happened, and they can provide instructions as to the type of action to file to have the court put you back in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption