If a jeweler gave me the wrong size setting, are they responsible for replacing it with the correct setting?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a jeweler gave me the wrong size setting, are they responsible for replacing it with the correct setting?

I ordered engagement ring from a jeweler to fit a 1.0 carat diamond. The diamond certificate, with exact measurements of stone, was provided at the time of ordering. When setting came in, their goldsmith was unavailable, so they referred me to another goldsmith to set the stone. Within a month the stone was very loose and upon inspection from a reputable independent jeweler, it was determined the setting was made to fit a larger 1.5 carat stone. Does the jeweler (the expert) I bought the setting from have any liability in this to make good and get me the setting that I paid for?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Business Law, California


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, as a general rule, so long as you have some supporting evidence that the size to be ordered was the one carat and not the larger setting. So, what you will want to do is to gather up the evidence and go back to the original jeweler and have them order you a new setting...not the entire ring.

By Grace...

Shawn Jackson ESQ. (707) 584-4529 

Business Development Attorney



            No communication resulting herein shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement is signed by attorney and client. The information provided neither is  legal advice nor is it conveyed in the course of an attorney-client relationship, but is intended merely as a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel such as any attorney in this office in a subsequent email communication (agreement) and the formation of an attorney client relationship.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption