If I was assaulted by a person that works in my building, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was assaulted by a person that works in my building, what can I do?

Asked on September 4, 2014 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assault and battery are both civil (lawsuit) and criminal.  The district attorney can pursue criminal prosecution  and you can contact that office.

As for your civil case, you can sue the person who assaulted you for both assault and battery.  Battery is the harmful, offensive intentional bodily contact.  Assault is intentionally placing you in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery.

After you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of any wage loss.  Your lawsuit should seek compensation for these items.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to support your claim for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  Since assault and battery are intentional, you can seek punitive damages (a substantial amount to punish the person who assaulted you).

Your civil case (lawsuit) should also name the owner of the building where the assault occurred as a defendant because the property owner is liable for your injuries.  Your damages would be your medical bills, pain and suffering, and wage loss as discussed above.  Your claim against the building owner would be for premises liablity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption