If I’ve been working for 6 weeks and received no pay,what should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve been working for 6 weeks and received no pay,what should I do?

I started a new job about 1 1/2 months ago at a childcare center. I went to training the first week, and thereafter began to work in the actual center. I continued to work, up until this week. I expressed to them that I no longer had the means to come to work because I had not received compensation for the hours worked, and could not afford to even put gas in my car or buy food to bring to work. I’ve called the corporate offices on 3 different occasions and have left voicemails for different departments but have yet to hear back from them. Is there any legal action that can be taken on this company?

Asked on July 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

At this point, you can file suit in small claims court to collect your past due pay. You can also file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. In either case, try to have as much documention regarding your situation as possible (e.g. a copy of the hours that you worked, etc.). The fact is that employees are entitled to be compensated for all time worked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption