What should I do to get the study permit?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do to get the study permit?

I overstayed in the U.S. for 4 years and applied political asylum there. Later,

during the case, I left the U.S. voluntarily. now Can I apply for study permit in

Canada and get it?

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This forum is for questions dealing with US immigration law.  The fact that you are barred from reentering the US for a certain period of time due to your prior overstay should not affect your ability to obtain a visa to Canada because Canada is a sovereign country independent of the US and its laws.  However, you need to discuss your prior history of overstay with a Canadian immigration attorney and understand whether this disclosure may limit your possibilities as far as Canadian visa is concerned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption