Itroduductary period in first 90 days of employment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Itroduductary period in first 90 days of employment

I am going to be starting a new job and
was informed that there will be an
itroducatry period for 90 days where I
will not be paid I don’t know how I feel
about this and I’m wondering if this is
even legal

Asked on March 28, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is not even remotely legal. The law is very clear: employees MUST be paid for all work they do--period. Even if you are fired in your second hour of working, you'd have to be paid for the first hour. There is no legal unpaid labor in this country. If they do not pay you, contact the state department of labor, though you should also be looking for another job: any company that would try to do this is one or more of stupid (not knowing the law) or criminal (knowingly violating the law), and you don't want to work for them if you have any options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption