It is legal for your manager to discuss your sex life at work?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

It is legal for your manager to discuss your sex life at work?

I was recently pulled into the office by my manager. She suggested that there is a rumor stating I slept with my supervisor’s husband. I denied all accusations. I am embarrassed by situation and fear that these accusations could prevent me from receiving future promotions. I have not contacted the hr department but is planning to do so. I no longer feel comfortable in the workplace and have not returned to work since. What should I do?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an employment attorney--it is possible that this may constitute one or both of the following situations or causes of action:

1) Illegal sex-based discrimination or harassment at work

2) Defamation, if the manager says this to any third person or party (so anyone, other than you) and the allegation is in fact untrue. (If it is true, then it is not defamation.)

Every case is different, and the facts are critical in determing rights and options. That is why you should consult with an employment lawyer, who can evaluate all the circumstances and advise you as to your course of action. If this does constitute either 1) or 2) above, you may be entitled to compensation, so it is worth you time to speak with an attorney (many provide a free initial consultation, to evaluate a case, anyway). Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption